Donations of used books, DVDs and CDs help our local Friends of the Library groups fund programs for their communities and special items for their libraries. Please take a moment to read these guidelines before you make a donation.
You can obtain a tax credit form by asking staff for one when you make your donation. This form denotes the number of items donated, not their value.
Items Not Accepted for Donation
We accept most items for sale in our Friends of the Library book sales, but there are some items we simply can't accept. It has been our experience that these items simply do not sell:
- books that are dirty, mildewed, torn, or have pages missing
- textbooks more than 2-5 years old
- mail order catalogs
- most magazines, except possibly:
- Craft Magazines
- Gardening Magazines
- Hobby Magazines
- News magazines newer than 3 months
- Professional journals less than 1 year old
- encyclopedias more than 5-8 years old, or partial encyclopedia sets
- medical/health books more than 5-8 years old
- all Condensed Books, including Reader's Digest
These guidelines may vary by Cuyahoga County Public Library branch. We highly recommend contacting your local branch before you make a donation to verity what will and will not be accepted.
Leftover book sale items are offered to area non-profit agencies. Any remaining items are recycled. The only items we throw away are those which are not suitable for sale or recycling or those which pose a health hazard.