Passport Centers

Your Journey   Starts Here.

Our Library is your convenient one-stop passport and travel center! Every Cuyahoga County Public Library branch is a Passport Acceptance Facility, as designated by the Department of State. Passport services – including passport photos – are available every day of the week at all of our branches, from opening until one hour before closing. No appointment is necessary!
US Passports websiteStop in any one of our branches to:
  • Apply for a passport.

  • Get your passport photo.

  • Explore books, media and databases on travel and learning a new language.

  • Find flight, hotel and transportation information.

  • Print your boarding pass

Then get out and enjoy the world!

Apply for a Passport

If this is your first passport, you will need to apply in person. If you are renewing an expired adult passport issued within the past 15 years, you may apply by mail. When applying for a passport in person, you need to submit:

  • A completed passport application, available at the Library and online. (To save time, complete the application online, print it out and bring it to one of our branches.) Do not sign this application before visiting the Library to submit your application.

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship, which may be a previous U.S. passport, certified birth certificate or Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization. No photocopies will be accepted. Documents will be returned with your issued passport.

  • Current proof of identity, established with a previous U.S. passport or a current valid driver’s license or military ID.  Please contact your local branch staff if you do not have any of those proofs.

  • One passport photo.

Renew Your Current Passport

You can renew your Passport by mail if all these conditions apply to your current U.S. Passport:
  • It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application.

  • It was issued when you were age 16 or older.

  • It was issued within the last 15 years.

  • It was issued in your current name.

You must submit a current passport photo with your renewal application. Passport photo services are available in all of our branches.

Find passport application details on the Department of State passport page and from the National Passport Center, 877.487.2778.


Passport Fees: Two passport payments are required for a new passport:

1. Passport fee, payable by check or money order only to U.S. Department of State.
  • $110 for an adult passport, valid for 10 years

  • $80 for a child’s (under 16) passport, valid for 5 years

An Expedite fee (four-week service) is available for an additional $60.
2. $25 execution fee for each new passport, payable by VISA, MasterCard, Discover, debit card, cash, check or money order to Cuyahoga County Public Library. No execution fee is required for a renewal application.
Passport Photo Fee: $10 (plus tax), payable by VISA, MasterCard, Discover, debit card, cash, check or money order to Cuyahoga County Public Library.
By law, the execution fee is nonrefundable (22 CFR 51.65). Please verify your Social Security number before you come in – you do not need to bring in your Social Security card. The U.S. Department of State has the sole responsibility for examining applications and issuing passports.

Frequently Asked Questions

For detailed answers, please visit the Department of State passport page.

How long does it take to receive my passport?
Routine application processing takes six to eight weeks. The Library can also provide expedited service for an additional $60 fee, which reduces the processing time to as little as four weeks.
Where can I get a copy of my birth certificate?

If you were born in Ohio, visit the state Department of Health’s Vital Records page. If you were born in another state, visit the CDC’s page with link to each state’s vital records contact information and website.

What if my name has changed?

The name on your passport should match your evidence of identity and citizenship. To change your name on a passport or as a proof of identity, you must submit a marriage certificate, or a certified copy of the court decree substantiating the change. To have a replacement passport issued, submit this document with a completed Form DS-5504, following the Department of State instructions on the document. If more than one year since the date of issue has passed, you must submit Form DS-82

(or DS-11, if appropriate) and pay the applicable fees.

Can I get a passport for my child?
For all children under age 16:
  • Children must accompany you to apply for a passport.

  • All applications for children under 16 require both parents’ or legal guardians’ consent.

  • Birth certificates must be submitted for all children showing parental
    relationship (even if the child has had a previous passport).

For all children age 16 to 17:
  • The minor must appear in person.
How can I get a replacement for a lost or stolen passport?

To replace a lost or stolen passport, complete Form DS-11 and Form DS-64, following the instructions on the Department of State’s lost or stolen passport page.

Where can I get information about the status of my application?

Status information is available through the National Passport Center.

I have a family emergency and need a passport immediately. What can I do?

Contact the National Passport Center at 877.487.2778 and the staff will advise you. There is no charge for this call.

What if the name on my passport doesn’t match the name in which I’ve purchased my airline tickets?

Airlines strongly encourage you to buy tickets with the exact name listed on your passport. If you have purchased international flight tickets, be sure the name you use on your passport application will match the name on your airline tickets. To change your name on a passport or as a proof of identity, you must submit a marriage certificate or certified copy of the court decree substantiating the change. To have a replacement passport issued, submit this document with a completed Form DS-5504, following the Department of State instructions.


Passport application acceptance agencies do not handle visas. A visa is an endorsement or stamp placed by officials of a foreign country on a U.S. passport that allows the bearer to visit that foreign country. Foreign entry requirements vary by country. See the Special Issuance Agency page for information Visas are obtained through consular offices. Some travel agents handle visa requirements.

Travel to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires all travelers to and from the Americas, the Caribbean and Bermuda to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States. See the Department of State’s website for more on international travel information. Those traveling by land or sea can use the new Passport Card.