Publishers Weekly gave his most recent collection a starred review, praising How He Loved Them (Four Way Books, 2018) as remarkable and accomplished. The collection was also longlisted for the 2019 Pulitzer Prize in Poetry. He is editor-at-large of Pleiades: A Journal of New Writing and co-editor of a number of works. Among his awards and honors are four Pushcart prizes, multiple Best American Poetry selections, numerous awards from the Poetry Society of America, and fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts. Prufer earned degrees from Wesleyan University, Hollins University and Washington University. He teaches in the Creative Writing Department at the University of Houston and in the low-residency MFA program at Lesley University.
1. "Overheard at a Restaurant," How He Loved Them (Four Way Books, 2018)
2. "How He Loved Them," How He Loved Them (Four Way Books, 2018)
3. "The Translator," The Art of Fiction forthcoming from Four Way Books, 2020.
4. "The Art of Fiction," forthcoming from Four Way Books, 2020.
5. "The Future," How He Loved Them (Four Way Books, 2018)